- 3,2 oz / 90 g butter
- 3,5 oz / 100 g onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 oz / 85 g flour
- 2,64 cup / 625 ml milk
- 1,4 oz / 40 g cornflour
- 1 hot smoked salmon fillet, flaked
- ¼ cup / 32 g chopped dill
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 3,3 oz / 90 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp. capers, chopped
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup / 128 g breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs beaten with a little milk
- Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until soft, without allowing onion to colour, about 15 minutes. Add 3 oz / 85 g flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes.
- Gradually add milk then cook for a further 10 minutes or until mixture boils. Sift in cornflour and mix well.
- Stir through salmon, dill, parsley, cheese and capers. Check seasoning, then allow to cool.
- Preheat a fryer to 350°F / 180°C or heat oil in a saucepan. Roll into balls and coat in remaining flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Deep-fry croquettes until golden. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tip: The mixture can be made the day before, then rolled into balls, coated and fried when needed.