Hot smoked salmon - Traditional -
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, ½-inch dice
- 3 large celery stalks, ½-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce wedge cauliflower (1/4 of a large head), stem attached
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces hot smoked salmon
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt and saute until vegetables start to soften , about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over vegetables and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Add wine and deglaze the pot (scraping brown bits off the bottom).
- Add the thyme, broth, cauliflower and potatoes, bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid from pot and transfer the cauliflower and 1 cup of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer puree back to the pot.
- Add the milk, corn, and smoked salmon and heat through for about 5 minutes.
- Season with remaining salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Finish with hot smoked salmon chunks.