Where to buy
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, ½-inch/ 1,3 cm dice
- 3 large celery stalks, ½-inch / 1,3 cm dice2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup / 120 ml white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 3 cups / 700 ml reduced sodium chicken broth
- 12-oz / 340 g wedge cauliflower (¼ of a large head), stem attached
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch / 1,3 cm pieces
- 1 cup / 165 g frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups / 500 ml whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz / 230 g hot smoked salmon
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt and saute until vegetables start to soften , about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over vegetables and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Add wine and deglaze the pot (scraping brown bits off the bottom).
- Add the thyme, broth, cauliflower and potatoes, bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid from pot and transfer the cauliflower and 1 cup of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer puree back to the pot.
- Add the milk, corn, and smoked salmon and heat through for about 5 minutes.
- Season with remaining salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Finish with hot smoked salmon chunks.