Where to buy
For the pickled cucumber
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. caster sugar
For the rice
- 175 g sushi or short grain rice
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp. caster sugar
- 2 hot smoked salmon fillets, flaked
- 5 oz/150 g radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 nori sheets, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- 2 tbsp. sliced pickled ginger
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Make the pickled cucumber. Peel cucumber into ribbons. Add to abowl and mix in the vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
- Prepare the rice. Wash well in a bowl of cold water, until water remains clear. Put the rice in a medium pan and pour in water until it comes 0,4 in / 1 cm above the rice. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 8 min, until the rice is tender. Take pan off heat and leave covered for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, make the rice seasoning. Heat the vinegar, sugar and 1 tbsp. salt in a small pan to dissolve the sugar. Take off heat. Using a woodenspoon, transfer rice to a bowl, then gently mix in the vinegar seasoning.
- To serve, divide rice between 4 bowls. Top with pickled cucumber, hot smoked salmon, radish, avocado, nori, ginger and sesame seeds.